Re: Experimental results?

>I felt confident with the indications I saw and, considering all the
>other factors involved, I felt it was proper to acknowledge that I had
>a fixed electrostatic charge between the poles of my flat spiral
>secondary. As it turned out, Dave P. confirmed this.

	Sort of.
	What i pointed out was that others, with solenoidal coils
	had observed something similar and the explanation was
	quite conventional...

>It won't be long, now that several others are building flat spiral coils,
>when this will be confirmed or not by other coilers.

> Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I recall bright white arcs are
> associated with high voltage.

	A number of things influence perceived color.  Until relatively
	recentlky, the 'white hot arcs' used in all motion
	picture work were from 40VDC, between carbon electrodes.

	More to the point, color can be from 'spectral lines',
	or from simply high energy which may or may not be from
	HV.  Thus, the typical blue white purple of corona is typically
	from spectral lines associated with atmospheric gases, notably
	nitrogen.  When pushed harder, thermal effects start with red,
	thru yellow, to blue white.

> I know the limitations of various voltmeters.

	All of the limitations?
	Including how they perform in high RF fields of indeterminate
	field strength and frequency?

> I think it is appropriate, considering we are working with a surprisingly
> unknown type of coil, that we get as much preliminary information as soon as
> possible to assist in designing and preparing tests for our new spiral
> coils.

	... and, perhaps, take care in making inferences about what
	indications mean, lest the directions be inappropriate...

> not presenting a finished product ready for market.  I'm presenting an
> unknown type of coil for experimentation and study.

	There is a difference, perhaps, between 'unknown' and 'information
	not readily available'

> >George Lucas added the ring explosion because it looks cool and he could.

> That's not what I read.  He added it because it looked more real.

	'looked more real'.  Uhhhh.  Its Only A Movie.
	Much of what is seen in movies may 'look real', while when
	viewed by a knowledgable observer are utterly contrived,
	false, and for effect.

	(hint:
	I know people who do movie FX.  It is VERY common for an
	effect to be done as it is, not be cause it is because that's
	the way the audience expects it (or the way the director WANTS
	it), rather than because its 'real'.)

> Nothing that size explodes in a sphere.

	Why?
	Why do REAL pix of early stages of stellar events such as this
	show spheres?

> It's physically impossible.

	Why?

> If all the matter were radiating outward, what is replacing the space
> in the middle?

	Nothing is replacing the 'space'.
	_All_ of the matter is not expanding outward.
	A small portion of the matter (the bit at the center)
	converted to energy.
	That portion of energy heats the the rest.
	That drives the expansion.  Spherically.
	(the 'small portion' may be more than the mass of the
	entire local solar system we live in: its small in the
	sense of the OTHER masses involved....)

	(Some of the 'pressure' is radiation (light, heat, gammas) in
	addition to the pure physical pressure.)

> You can't just blow everything outward as a sphere and be left with
> a vacuum or empty space.

	Eventually, that's just what happens.  What's left is a bubble of
	hot gas.  As that escapes/cools it may leave behind a vacuum,
	cooling, or the remnants fall back in.  Pictures of all this
	are available.

> Even a nuclear explosion explodes according to c^2.  You don't see a
> nuclear bomb going of in a spherical pattern, right?

	You do, by all published accounts IF ITS FIRED IN FREE SPACE.
	(surface bursts are different...)

> In fact, a nuclear explosion has a vertical pulse and all its damage is
> done in a plane,

	'tisn't.  The usual images SHOW the effects in a plane.
	If there were something above, it would be (and is) affected.
	If they images were taken from above (or below, if in free space)
	they would show spherical effects.  (half sphere, if over
	ground.)