Re: dielectric strength of hot glue was Re: Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> I note that in another post today Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz calls hot
> glue an "excellent insulator" so maybe he knows what it is.

No, I don't know what it is, and there are many manufacturers. But
among all the glues that I have tested, hot glue is the only one
that doesn't leak when exposed to high voltages.
A simple test for insulation: I charge a well-insulated electroscope
and touch it with a piece of the material under test. A good material
doesn't produce any immediate effect on the electroscope deflection.
This doesn't measure dielectric strenght, of course, but it's usually
proportional to the resistivity (I imagine).
My attention was called to hot glue when someone told me that he
was trying to make a Lord kelvin water electrostatic machine, and
only managed to obtain sufficient insulation to make that very
weak machine operate when he used hot glue rods as insulators.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz