Easy way to Big Inductor, was Re: ebay wire

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Hi Godfrey,

it's a pretty toy, an old style inductor, and it's not my goal to keep
anybody from constructing his own! But, if we would like just the
functionality, and less the appearance, there is an alternative
(especially for transformer freaks ;o) ...): Potential transformers!

The idea is not from myself, but was brought up in a discussion by my
coiler friend Martin Damev.
There exist a number of PT's, with fairly easy to open cores (removable
branches of rectangular ring,...sorry perhaps my language/spelling
problem!). This is true for most of my Moser-Glaser 16kV PT's, which
have a resin-sealed HV winding for a nominal voltage of about 16...20kV,
but BIL ratings equal to 125...150kV. The HV windings are probably of a
much more rugged design, than most of what an amateur can achieve. A
number of those you've probably seen on my website,...and the
symmetrical HV-output ones would be preferred.

If you feed those PT's, like an induction coil, i.e. via a dimmer-type
capacitor discharger, you have just an induction coil at very little
effort. I've made some preliminary tests with a VK24c PT (100V/20kV),
even without opening the core: 6cm sparks were readily at hand, with
only 6uF in the dimmer discharger...and I just not wanted to open the
gap for more, in order to keep the PT sane. - Obviously, PT's for higher
HV might be used for bigger induction coils (I'm now seeking one for
52kV nominal). I "think" opening the core would boost the application as
an induction coil quite a bit more.

Cheers,
         Kurt Schraner

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

> Hi Rick
>
> It all depends on how much magnet wire I can get, but I'm going for huge. I
> want to get maybe 60 pounds of wire into the induction coil. I was inspired
> by Kurt's induction coil at http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/index.htm.
>
> Godfrey Loudner

<snip>