Re: VTTC capacitor

Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

Steve,

You simply described a type of capacitor as a 'pulse cap'.  There are pulse
caps out there that cannot tolerate sustained reversal at high rep rates.
There are admittedly others that can.... for a while.  As a generalization,
with 'pulse caps' rep rates of 1 KHz are considered high.  You are talking up
to 1000 times this rep rate at 100% reversal.  I was leaning on the side of
caution.  I was merely suggesting that such capacitors may not be the best for
this application because of the reversal concerns which are covered nicely in
the old Maxwell Corp. brochures.  I believe this info may now be found from the
company that took them over called General Atomics.

I have never seen a 'pulse cap' (i.e. like a Maxwell) in the tank circuit of a
commercial RF power application employing transmitter tubes.  Mica, vacuum and
air insulated plate types are most common.  It was these that I recommended,
although I forgot to mention the vacuum cap, but you really don't need to go to
that expense.

Having said all that one must  remember that in the hobby of Tesla coiling it
is commonplace to ignore product specifications and pour the coals to whatever
components and materials one has at their disposal until the smoke comes out.
If you already have a capacitor which you think will work then you should use
it.

r stephens