RE: Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Mark,

>  It's probably a good idea to note that inductances add counterintuitively
(like parallel resistances IIRC) so your trifilar coil likely has a
different inductance from what you think it does. Have you tried measuring
it? Do you attach all
three outside coil ends together when running it in "single phase" mode? If
not, do you just leave the other two hanging?

I have measured the inductances on this smaller coil.  This is explained in
my online notes.  The actual measured inductances don't even come close to
the calculated inductances even on single wound flat spirals.  The measured
inductances are generally three times the inductance of the calculated
inductance using the formula for spiral coils.

I have tried connecting all three wires to a common ground, and I have tried
running the coil on just one lead.  I repeated this experiment today.  There
is no discernable difference in operating characteristics.  It works the
same with one or all three wires.

I have been getting some really interesting results.  I definitely have
higher electrostatic voltages in my coil than is usually obtained with a
solenoid coil.  All the wires look like they have electric hair on them.  If
I allow the coil under my current configuration to run for about a minute,
great potentials build up and spark 8" from the primary to the secondary
terminal.

Today I stacked the 30" electrostatic plate on top of the coil (10" above)
and connected it to the terminal.  The plasma ball sits on top of that (no
external power.)  I have my camera setup 10 feet from the coil and I get
shocked when I press the button.  The fluorescent tubes glow 10 feet away.
And the ball glows bright with a unique upward flowing pattern (consistent
with my longitudinal wave theory.)  When the system first powers, the spark
gap kicks right in.  But it takes about 2 seconds before the plasma ball
gets enough charge to suddenly glow brightly.  This delayed start up works
with or without the 30" plate.

Today I placed probes 9" below and 9" above the coil.  I was able to
ascertain that the bottom of the coil has a negative static charge and the
top of the coil has a positive static charge.  This agrees with my
longitudinal wave theory.

No matter whether the outer leads are grounded or not, when I use the outer
lead(s) and inner lead in bipolar fashion, the terminal will spark to a
fluorescent tube but the outer lead will not.  It appears there is only one
direction of energy flow in the coil.  It does not appear to be AC in the
secondary.  This also agrees with my longitudinal wave theory.

Notice I did not say this coil was DC either.  There is definitely
electrical energy flying around, but it is not RF and doesn't appear to be
DC from the outer lead to the inner lead.  The only DC like component is the
electrostatic charge that develops between the bottom and top of the coil.

For all the long tales I've been reading in today's email about how
impossible it is for the things I am describing to happen, they're
happening.  I'm tempted to join the rooster crow contest, but I simply have
more worthwhile things to focus on.  What I'm going to do is stop responding
to those who have not built a spiral coil and have no intention of doing so
and only correspond with those with an interest in the science behind this
interesting coil design.

My offer still stands.  If anybody would like to come by with there test
equipment or even just to witness the coil, they are welcome to do so.  I
already have one inquiry, I will entertain others.  I'm really interested in
getting to the bottom of what's happening.  I'm not interested in promoting
an idea for the sake of the idea.  I'm just looking for real answers that
apply to the real observations I'm making.

Dave