Re: VTTC capacitor

Original poster: "vladimiro mazzilli by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mazvla-at-iol.it>

Tesla list ha scritto:

> Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

> I do not understand your comment about pulse caps handling only DC. Even
> when used on a disruptive coil, every time the spark gap fires this closes
> the circuit on the primary tank circuit. The tank rings with a damped
> sinusoid (AC) each pulse. Thus, the pulse cap is subjected to AC. I happen
> to have a 0.0015 uf pulse cap rated at 15 KV. This should be a very good
> size for a tube coil. I am still seeking an answer to my question about
> frequency applicability of a pulse cap. I suspect that it it should not be a
> problem because most tube coils seem to operate at under 1 MHZ frequency.

I think it'is not a really  problem but I'think is better mica capacitors
or ceramic suited for
transmitting operations. Once I was working on a low power Royer converter
(Current fed resonant
push pull type)20Khz of resonant frequency, and I had very serious problems
with the capacitor of
primary resonance about the two collector or drain. Every type of
capacitors get very hot an
briefly destroy it .I take a look in tgdelta specifications and I found few
type of capacitors
(RIFA), that meet the high frequency data.With this, I solved my
problems.In my experience with
VTTC the film capacitors I speak of best type, get hot when tesla was
running, Mica or transmitting
type gave me the best response.

Cheers

Vladi