Re: Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> So just because we know how to use transverse waves we're not going to
> explore the world of longitudinal waves?
>
> It doesn't bother me that you want to remain content with transverse waves.
> Be my guest.  But I see an undeveloped frontier within my grasp.  I'm going
> to be a pioneer in the art of generating and utilizing longitudinal waves,
> just like Master Tesla did. :-)

Humm... There is a problem in all this: For the frequencies being used
and the sizes of the coils (assumed typical), irradiated fields are
insignificant. All you get are local fields, that are not different
from the magnetic field close to an inductor or the electric field
between the plates of a capacitor. They can have -any- orientation with
properly positioned coils and terminals in this way. Long-range
propagation is obtained -only- when the electric and magnetic fields
are perpendicular to the propagation direction, otherwise there is
no energy transfer between them.
Another thing is that it's not necessary to mention atoms or electrons
when describing electromagnetic fields (actually, almost everything
about electricity). They are "higher-level" phenomena, discovered
and correctly described in most practical details -before- electrons
and atoms were discovered.
I see that a spiral secondary produces fields around it that are
somewhat different from what you obtain with a solenoidal secondary.
There is a symmetry between the fields above and below the coil, with
the electric field being predominantly in the direction of the radius of
the coil and the magnetic field forming toroids.
An interesting possibility with spiral coils is to put the high-voltage
output at the edge instead of at the center. In this way the shielding
of the coil by a toroid around it would be almost perfect.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz