Re: Extra coil

> > NOT correct:  the crystal set used the natural resonant frequency of the
> > coil with no capacitor. The tap slide on the coil was the only tuning for
> > phase 1 crystal sets. Capacitor tuning came later and was much more
> > convinent than the coil tuning. Coil tuning was a trial and error play
every
> > time you wanted to change and every day you started to recieve.1/2 to 1
hr..

	Crystal sets come in all manner of styles.
	(I knew someone with a FM crystal set, once....  don't ask...)
	In General, at AM broadcast (MW) antennas are electrically
	short.  Adding a loading coil will almost guarantee more
	signal  (antenna Tuners are routine pieces of kit in
	high performance work....)  To my mind (and understanding)
	the similarity between a loading coil and an 'extra coil'
	in Tesla Coil work is exact.  (cf Corum's work....).

	That Said, there seems to be some difference in terms of
	exactly how the extra coil should be applied:
		resonant at 'secondary' freq.
		resonant at 2x (or 3x or????)

	best
	dwp