Re: WARNING re X-10 (again) & computer-modems

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kchdlh-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 02/09/2002 8:51:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Subj:Re: WARNING re X-10 (again) & computer-modems
> Date:02/09/2002 8:51:01 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> To:<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>
> Hi Ken,
>         I've also had past problems caused by operating high powered
> electronics in the vicinity of other equipment. Problems caused fell
> into two categories: interface destruction, and sometimes capacitor
> destruction where the caps were bypassing high frequencies from power
> rails to ground. I inferred from those failures that external wiring
> was coupling transients into the equipment and now disconnect all
> cables from equipment in the vicinity (e.g. network cables, both
> ends, printer cables, both ends, etc.
>
> Regards,
> malcolm

I'm beginning to feel a bit like the guy who builds a boat in his basement and
then finds he can't get it out:  It's a pain in the neck to do as you say, with
cabling, etc.  But around my house I have almost no suitable space upon which
to set my coil, outside and away from other electronics, for operation.  And if
I have to go to the trouble of taking it somewhere else entirely in order to
operate it, it becomes a task rather than a pleasure.  Plus...a corollary to
Murphy's Law is always the case: the further away you are from the tools
necessary to address a problem, the more likely the problem is to occur.  That
is due, of course, fundamentally, to the innate perversity of inanimate
objects.

Ken Herrick