Re: Extra coil

Hi Nele,
         I thought there might have been a smattering of theoretical
musing in your post ;)

On 7 Feb 2002, at 21:58, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Nebojsa Kovacevic by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <morfeus-at-EUnet.yu>

> Hello All!
>
> Thank you all for the comments about the extra coil. I was
> considering that coil strictly from the theoretical point of view,
> don`t have any experiences with coils like that, only with
> 'regular' ones. But I would like to know from all of you who had
> the practical experiences with extra coils, what are the diferences,
> comparing the three system with two system coil? Is there any
> dieference, and is it really irrelevant?

On building my first magnifier, I tried to make it work as Tesla had
prescribed (the 1/8 wave, 1/4 wave thing) and was shocked to find it
didn't work. A second attempt with different coils also failed. Then
I simply put the scope and signal generator onto it and what I found
matched none of the CSN theory that was supposed to describe it (and
that was driving it from a *real* voltage source). I quickly
discovered a single strong resonance (and a multitude of weak ones),
tuned the primary to the strong resonance, and voila!

To this day I have not found any difference in output between a mag
and 2-coil for the same primary drive conditions. Output=input-losses
still holds good in my experience.

     From all this, I concluded that the best thing about a magnifier
is that it allows one to move the business end of the secondary
system well away from the primary circuit which is a good thing.

Regards,
Malcolm
<snip>