RE: pairing obits

>Original poster: "McQuay, Michael by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Michael.McQuay-at-wcg-dot-com>
>

>I'm just getting back into coiling after a several year hiatus.

Welcome back :) When you go shopping for your capacitors let me know :) I
run The Geek Group. www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

>I've been reading the mail list for a couple of days, and I'm curious.
>What
>is an 'obit'?

It's a small, cubish (about 6x6") 120VAC to 10kV/23mA transformer. The name
"Obit" (actually O.B.I.T.) comes from Oil Burner Ignition Transformer, as
this is what they are designed for. They are commonly found on old furnaces
that burn oil (and I've seen them on large gas-fired boilers a few times as
well). They are freakishly delicate and don't last long, furtunately they're
cheap and abundant if you know where to look. They are the only step down
from a standard NST, and not nearly as rugged (NSTs are fairly delicate as
it is), they do have the benefit of being internally current limited.

Some have one HV terminal (case grounded) and most of the one's I've seen
used in furnaces have a pair of HV terminals (case grounded).

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org