New Pictures From an old Coiler

Original poster: "David Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

I seem to have resolved the neon current saturation issue I was having
by finding the sweet spot on the SRSG. For what it is worth I added
additional PFC caps and increased my capacitance to .045uf but to no
avail. It seems an improperly tuned SRSG can cause the Neon transformers
to saturate and begin to draw unlimited current. I think the SRSG was
about 90 degrees off cycle.  My guess is that firing at the wrong point
in the phase caused a resonance in the neon transformers leading to core
saturation.

After making this discovery I spent the evening fine tuning and easily
obtained 3 to 4 foot streamers and power arcs. I never found the limit
as my wife began to protest when lines started showing up on the TV as I
neared full power. She also failed to appreciate the high pitch buzz
that the streamers were singing which could be heard throughout the
neighborhood.

I did finally get a few photos published as well. To the many that
offered suggestions I think the best way to thank you is let you see
your influence. As this was my first attempt to photograph streamers
with my digital camera they are far from perfect but you can find them
at http://home.austin.rr-dot-com/dkyle/tesla_gallery.htm.

Dave

Dave Kyle
Austin, TX USA