Fwd: First Failure and Help

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/27/02 12:45:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> >Also, does I'm trying to use strips of a cutting board I made as the
> >supports for my primary. Does anybody have a quick and easy method for
> >drilling all the holes with the necessary spacing? The current way I'm
> >looking at doing it is where I'll have to drill a hole, measure .5 inch,
> >drill a hole, ad infinitum. Help would be appreciated.
>
>A $150,000 CNC milling machine is faster...  But you are doing it exactly
>the way I would... ;0)  I guess you could mark all the hole locations first
>and then drill them...  That poly cutting board would probably just gum up
>a CNC machine anyway... ;-D

Hi Alan,
If you stack your supports with a slight offset, you can drill the entire
stack at once. Say you had 8 supports and you want the turns to be 1/2" on
center.
1) Mark the top one in the stack every half inch and then offset each one
under it 1/16" from the one above it.
2) Fasten the stack with strong rubber bands.

3) Number the pieces in sequence!! VERY important!!
4) Drill through the entire stack, preferably using a drill press.
5) Slide them onto the primary coil in sequence, working from the outside in.
This reduces the number of holes to be drilled in this case by 82.5%.

In general, for N supports with primary on D in. center-to-center, the
offset should be D/N

Hope this helps,

Matt D.