A double resonance solid state Tesla coil

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

None of the solid state tesla coils I've seen use a resonant primary.  One
of the downsides of the SSTC is the large magnetizing current, especially
when you try to get a fast voltage rise. This leads to high losses in the
power switches and makes it impractical to generate 'normal' rise times and
streamers.

My approach is to add a primary capacitor. Pspice simulation shows that the
energy transfer is much more efficient. A parallel  H bridge of IGBTs drive
at resonance (about 70 kHz) by monitoring the zero crossings of
instantaneous current with a microcontroller. The current envelope is also
tracked to detect the peak of the secondary voltage (minimum of the input
current). At this point, the switches are held closed emulate a spark gap
before it quenches. This prevents the diodes from sucking power back from
the secondary. After one or two beats, the switches are left open as the
secondary decays.

I think this approach combines the advantages of a conventional spark gap
coil and a SSTC.

Compared to a 19th century conventional coil
1) We don't need a bulky primary transformer
2) We don't have the maintenance and loss of a spark gap (which can absorb
more power than the streamers)
3) The primary capacitors only have to store about 1/3 as much energy
because it is continuously being transfered to the secondary
4) The IGBT's can be driven at very high break rates, you just need a
healthy circuit breaker in your garage
5) It can't be left on in a quiescent state. If there is high voltage
present, so will there be sparks
(we left our NST plugged in one day and noticed that the wax it was potted
in had melted!)

Compared to a SSTC
1) The fast rise allows real streamers instead of 'brush discharge'
2) There is no magnetizing current

Compared to an OLTC
1) The current is always in phase with the voltage. In other coils much of
the current is at a low power factor.
2) Because we get voltage rise from both resonances, we aren't driven to
extreme winding ratios.

Downsides of the Double Resonance SSTC (DRSSTC)
1) The primary capacitors may be limited by current, rather than voltage
2) As with a spark gap coil, we have to tune the primary to the secondary

This seems like an obvious solution, so tell me if I'm missing something.
I'm assembling it now, I can supply more details (pictures, schematics,
simulations) for the curious.

Jimmy
(with a lower case i now:-)

Do you Yahoo!?