Electronic Ignition drivers for TCs/ which type is best?

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

When an ignition coil used to provide HV for a tesla coil it is good idea
to use electronic switch to turn the primary current on and off.

One way use a 555 astable to gate the input of an electronic ignition driver.

Electronic ignition drivers come in two main types (i) inductive ignition
and (ii) capacitive-discharge ignition or CDI.

Which of the two is best for driving a coil that is powering a TC?

My guess is that inductive ignition is better as it gives a longer duration
output spike which might be better for charging capacitors
maybe "inductive" nature of charging circuit better balances the
capacitance of the tank cap but I am not sure here. I do know that CDI
gives very short output spikes
-possibly not so good for charging capacitors- am I correct or incorrect on
this matter as I am currently using 555-gated Velleman K2543 inductive driver.