Re: why TC Different from others?

Original poster: "Peter Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

 > To all
 >
 > I am an average guy that got into coiling. I'm fairly intelligent and a
 > quick learner so coiling wasn't all that hard to pick up once I started. I
 > was never educated in electronics. So please forgive this question.
 >
 > A TC primary and secondary form a transformer. The TC transformer produces
 > RF when it operates. 1. Why don't other transformers with similar winding
 > ratios produce RF?

The TC is air cored and rather loosely coupled.  Alot of the energy from the
primary does not go into the seconday but is radiated.

 > The TC transformer is part of a "Tank" circuit. The Capacitor the primary
 > and secondary "Ring" or oscillate when the capacitor discharges. As I
 > understand it, the Pri, Sec and Cap oscillate at (RF) very high frequency.
 > 2. Why doesn't a NST or other transformer Ring at RF when it is part of a
 > tank circuit?   Or perhaps it does. 3. Why do we get 60hz when it rings at
 > higher frequency?

I wire the spark gap in parallel with the NST.  When the spark gap fires the
transformer is shorted across it.  If the NST is in parallel with the tank
cap, it may ring somewhat but its impedance is very high compared to the TC
primary coil so its contribution to the circuit can be ignored at the TC
resonant frequency.

 > Basically I want to know why a TC seems to work differently than other
 > transformers.
 >
 > Thanks for your thoughts
 > Read you later
 > Josh