Re: SSTC

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Hi John, Terry, all,

 > Assuming the SSgap is very good, you could almost expect 50% more
 > power to the streamers
- That's good news !

 > It is tricky trying not to blow up the silicon.  A nice scope and
 > current/HVvoltage probes really help.
- The first point could be a problem, the second is not.
I came across two big SCRs (out of a laser pulse machine) which could
be used antiparallel instead of a triac/power MOSFETs / IGBTs........
V RSM is 1300 V and I TSM is 1300 A. This should be enough for a 2"
TC system. One of the remaining problems is the TC system's resonant
frequency of more than 400 kHz and the t q of the SCRs being 100 µs
(a "little" bis slow). dv/dt is 1000 V/µs and I TRMS is 110 A. Does
these sound good ?

 > I assume you'll be using something like Terry's OLTC coil?
- If the a.m. SCRs could not be used, I'm planning on copying Dan
Mccauley's schematics, but'll have a closer look at Terry's OLTC
system also.

 > However, as time goes on and it gets drier and drier, the Q is
 > constantly getting significantly better ;-))
- Isn't winter a dry time ?

 > Half wave seem to work very well if the input is DC.  AC switching may
 > not really work better since a fixed diode for the reverse direction
 > is pretty efficient and simple.
- Having got a lot of new info, I'll mull over my design.

Thank you and have a nice time,

Herwig

Greed is the root of all evil!