Re: Faraday Cage

>Wouldn't the steel chicken wire serve to knock down the

>magnetic fields?

         Only a small bit.
         Thats why mu metal was invented: 'steel' is not real
         effective.  And even mu metal is tricky to work with.

>I can understand penetration of a copper wall, due to the copper being
>dimagnetic.  That's why the CIA uses both

>copper and mu metal walls to keep bugs out.

         field strengths are lower.  And Cu is fairly effective
         against any HF (say 100KHz and up?  I disrecall?)
         mag fields, due to eddy currents.  Or so i recall.

>I would think that the magnetic field would tend to follow

>the steel mesh, and not radiate much beyond it.
         It does, somewhat.  But the effect is not as strong

         as the effect of Cu (or other conductor) on
         e field.  And either 'steel' or Mu metal can
         saturate (Tesla System mag fields, up close,
         are STRONG, by some measures.  Once either
         saturates, attenuation goes away.

--
         best
         dwp