SSTC

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Hi SSTC coilers,

Spark gaps are said to cause up to 1/3 of a TC system's losses. In
order to reduce these and as NSTs are rare in this part of the world,
I'm planning on substituting the static spark gap of my small 2"
system with silicon. Of course the system needs to be redesigned.

1. Does John's formula "input power vs streamer length" still hold or
could I expect a distinct improvement?

2. Are there any drawbacks (besides of $$ of course)?

3. Searching the archives I've found that half wave rectification is
used often. Wouldn't full wave rectification result in a higher
throughput? Could one of the experts please enlighten me?

Cheers

Herwig
Greed is the root of all evil!