Re: Variac ratings

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Like John, i push my old Staco 7.5 A unit to about 18A all the time.  I run
my 2kva coil with it using 2 15/60s.  NO SWEAT!  I only run for up to a
minute at a time though, and i have PFC(i have ran it up to around 19A at
times when there wasnt any PFC).  I run my tube coils that pull about 16A
for minute long periods.  The variac gets a little warm after running the
2kva coil for maybe 20 minutes in one evening, but maybe only as warm as my
skin.  It doesnt seem to saturate or anything, so i think if you have older
variacs, the 8.5A will easily handle 1 15/60 NST.  a 15/60 only draws maybe
10A without PFC, and maybe 7 or 8 with PFC, so that seems ok for that variac.

Steve Ward.