Re: Series resonance/Was: Waveguide TC

>Tesla said his system did not use Hertzian waves.

         We may know rather more now than then.

>I take that to mean he was going to use currents

         Currents flow in wires.

>instead of wave radiation.

         cf above.

>Aren't these two different methods of transferring electrical

>energy?

         electric currents are confined (skipping displacement
         currents, which are archetypically Maxwellian/Hertzian)
         to conductors.  Wires and arcs/sparks.
         We know more of how emag works than most/anyone did
         100 years.  (one can argue its all in Maxwell,
         and be right: the understanding has grown a lot.)
         (historical Perspective:
         It has since been demonstrated that 'its all emag'
         from just above DC to gammas.  This was less clear
         then.  Many thought that Hertz (who worked at uWaves)
         was working with something fundamentally different
         than others, who gradually worked their way down to
         MHz, then KHz.  (or, in Tesla's case: UP to KHz.).
         The implications of the differences in freq were not
         realized.)

         Many experimenters THOUGHT they had something different,
         which was handy to assert/believe for patent purposes.

>The energy via current has to have a return conductive circuit.

         ...and a sending conductive circuit...
         (What Tesla said he would like to do varied over time...
         sometimes 'other kinds of waves', sometimes 'conduction
         thru rarefied gases' in the atmosphere.)

>The energy via radiation can take off (antenna) into space and

>never return.

         yep.

>Maxwell provided two equations to show this difference.

>Something like this

>Magnetic field   fHl dl = dx/dt+Ic
>Electric field   fEl dl = -dw/dt
>The Tesla coil is a combination of these two systems?

         I suggest there is likely a difference between what
         it _is_ and what Tesla believe it to be...

>I must confess I don't use these two equations to design

>my Tesla coils!!

         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...