Re: Secondary and MMC Caps

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello all,

The one pointer that I have for you is this: BUILD SOMETHING TO WIND YOUR
COIL WITH! We thought that it would be too much hassle and work to build a
winding jig. After all, we were only going to build one tesla coil =p. We
couldn't have been more wrong. The ordeal took the good part of a week to
accomplish. It wasn't fun. Also, the secondary now has tons of places that
have the magnet wire skip over a couple of turns and crimp up, etc. That
probably cuts efficiently on it quite a bit. For our second coil (see
sentence #3) we decided to break down and build a winding jig. We wound it
in less than a hour. No skips, no errors, nothing wrong. We were amazed.
The jig itself only took 30 minutes to complete yet saved us days of
frustrating work.Your winding jig dosen't have to be complicated, ours was
simply 2 peices of wood with grooves in it that held a threaded rod. The
rod went through 2 end caps we got with the pipe. We then stuck 2 hex nuts
o! n the end and tightned them against each other and turned the whole
thing with a socket wrench that fit onto the nuts. My buddy turned it while
I guided the wire along the previous turn. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Original poster: "Centauri by way of Terry Fritz "

Hey,

I'm about to start winding my secondary with 27 awg magnet wire. I was
wondering if you guys had any pointers as this is my first time for this.
Also, with either 1 or 2 15kv 30ma transformers will 6" pvc pipe with 28"
winding length be sufficient or is this unrelated?
Last, I need to buy capacitors for my cap bank but I can't find the geek
mmc caps at their website? Where did they go?

Thanks

-Chris

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all
of them yourself."-unknown