Re: 10 Questions to help me construct my first TC

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Howdy,

I think the Tesla coil should be scaled to match its
power supply. A large tesla coil with a small power
supply is a recipe for disappointment.

 > Power supply is set: 7.5Kv 30ms NST and I am using
 > RQSG.
 >
 > 1. Secondary wire gauge?

I'd go with 4" sch 40 PVC wound for 12-15" with
#28AWG.

 > 2. Secondary diameter?
 > 3. Secondary turns?
 > 4. Primary wire gauge?
 > 5. Primary coil ( flat, helix or inverted
 > cone(angle?))?

I like the flat spiral, but only because it is the
easiest to build. I wind the primary with #10 AWG
solid copper wire or 3/16" copper tubing.

 > 6. Toroid cord diameter?
 > 7. Toroid diameter (please specify OD or center to
 > center)?
 > 8. Tank capacitor value (should I trust the
 > software?)?

I'd let the software pick the resonant value, to
squeeze as much spark as possible out of that little
NST.

 > 9. Primary turns (should I trust the software)?
 > 10. Static gap ( gap space and number of gaps)?
 >
 > Thanks for your help.

My $0.02 worth.

=====
Gregory R. Hunter