Re: 10 Questions to help me construct my first TC

The software does not say which ratio gives the longest spark.
Some people say to use a 1000 turns.
But John Freau's efficiency theory says to use about 1600 turns.

The size of a TC affects the spark length mostly in the sense that
if the TC is too small, the wire will be too thin for the power level,
and the secondary will be too short and the secondary may burn
up from arc-overs.

>I read things like: "spark length (inches) = 1.7*sqrt input power (wallplug
>watts)"
>But doesn't the size of the TC have something to do with the length of the
>spark?
>
>So can you guys help me?  I would like to know how to build this thing.
>I would like to get a variety of opinions and I guess I will just go with
>the consensus.

I'm always afraid of consensus viewpoints.  I prefer the best
viewpoint.

>Power supply is set: 7.5Kv 30ms NST and I am using RQSG.

The RQSG will probably limit the performance to some degree.

>1. Secondary wire gauge?

28 awg

>2. Secondary diameter?

4" diameter

>3. Secondary turns?

1500

>4. Primary wire gauge?

At least 12awg, or 10awg, or use 1/4" copper tubing

>5. Primary coil ( flat, helix or inverted cone(angle?))?

Flat

>6. Toroid cord diameter?

>7. Toroid diameter (please specify OD or center to center)?

Overall toroid size 3" x 12" or 4" x 13".

>8. Tank capacitor value (should I trust the software?)?

Use LTR, or about 2x the matched or resonant value for the
RQSG setup.

>9. Primary turns (should I trust the software)?

Yes, Bart's Java TC is good.  Some may be misleading in
a sense.

>10. Static gap ( gap space and number of gaps)?

by experiment.

Have fun, the above figures are just a guide....
John