sec coil zap more info

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

More info in my sec coil zapping.

First, pleas forgive my “electro-speak” I understand the concepts and
principals involved but I’m not always as accurate as I could be.

My nice new coil:
4x36 1700 turns 24-awg    8th inch coat of polyester fiberglass resin (no
fiberglass)

I only get zapped if I’m holding the coil with one hand and touch the
ground wire with the other. If my friend Matt holds the coil the wire is fine.

I thought that the capacitance between the turns on the coil was holding a
charge even with the ground connected. (“Residual capacitance”) meant I
thought some of the charge was dissipated to ground and some was left. i.e.
“residual”. But you all seem to be saying that it is a STATIC charge that
is “living” in my insulators.

Also, when it zapped me, it was a Zap not at all like any thing I got from
my Wimshurst Static-E machine. Everything form the little ticks to the
finger mashing blasts. It felt sort of wobbly like AC.

Hmmmm…. I wonder?
Read you later
Josh