RE: smalls coils and computers...and RF fields

Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Will a small coil suitable for running on a desktop
 > in my office cause
 > problems with pc's and phone systems etc running in
 > building (ie next
 > office)?

Justin,

Well, you should definately use line filters if this
is going to be an issue.  I don't have any experience
with SSTC's but judging by what I have read and what
Dan said, I'd say your best bet would be a tabletop
conventional coil.

Having said that, I do have some anecdotal evidence.
A few years ago in my lab I ran a small 2" coil about
6 feet away from a desktop PC (pentium 166).  The coil
was powered by a 10000v 23ma OBIT and used beer bottle
caps.  After it had been running a few minutes, I
noticed that the PC had rebooted.  I never determined
whether or not this was due to RF hash making its way
into the 60hz line as RFI, or if it was radiated RF
fields causing the problem.  At any rate, I am quite
sure the machine didn't reboot as a result of a non TC
related event since it was running UNIX (FreeBSD) and
was a rock solid system install for years.

You can take a 5 watt handheld ham transciever, place
the antenna into the open case of a PC, next the the
CPU and key up.  The computer will reboot.  At least
on older 486 and 386 CPU this works.  I haven't tried
it on a newer expensive CPU.

Hope this helped.

-Brett
hot-streamer-dot-com/brett