Re: BIG counterpoise

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 11:06 AM 08/12/02 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

 >Hello all,
 >
 >Where I live, the ground is pretty much solid metamorphic rocks,
 >Devonian/Carboniferous phyllite to be exact.  My house is cut
 >into a hill, so there's probably only a foot of topsoil at most.

<SNIP>

 >Previously, my ground has been many small rods (1 foot long)
 >hooked in parallel, as I just can't get through the stuff.
 >
 >Cheers,
 >
 >Greg.

Hi Greg, Coilers,

I've got similar problems here...trying to dig into my soil is
like trying to push a nail through a board without a hammer!!

Why not try a system of radials?  Ideally they should be one-
quarter wavelength long at your coil's operating frequency to
do it "by the book", but if you put in a dozen or so wires in
various directions and as long as possible, you should be OK.

For my radial system I made a hub three inches in diameter of
several turns of bare number 14 wire and connected all of the
inner ends of the radial to the hub.  A much heavier lead then
connected the hub to the base of the secondary and any other
system components needing an R.F. ground.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca