Re: For all Pupman Readers! Geek Group FAQ System

>Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><f-h-at-c.dk>
>

>Tesla list skriver:
> >
> > Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>snip
>

> > It is my hope to create the Ultimate Tesla Coil FAQ, and to do it through a
> > mixture of submitted entries, and culling from the Pupman list and
> archives.
>

>This is a good initiative, noble Chris, and one that has been talked a
>lot about in the past. I should imagine that it would be quite an honour
>to be the author of a subject in that FAQ.

We'll see as it develops, right now it's in it's very early stages. Basicly
the idea will be to take both newly written (i.e. posts to the FAQ section
of the forums, or Culled from Pupman), and existing text (i.e. Other
coiling resources on the web) and edit/augment them into a FAQ format. It's
hoped that this will become a through, up-to-date resource for the world's
coilers. And also help us in giving accurate, through answers to the
hundreds of newbie questions that we get (and bicker over) every week. It's
not a replacement for answering them here, but telling a newbie to "Searh
the archives" can be daunting to the newbie. The main focus is safety. This
will be a way for people to get SAFE info, TESTED info, and Peer Reviewed info.

I'm also including a section for anecdotal stuff, there's a lot of
interesting stories out there, and some of the old timers out here have
seen people do a lot of dumb things and get hurt in spectacular ways. Not
only is it a great way to pass on a lesson and history, but it's an
interesting read to a lot of us as well.

>I also think that Chip should be given the opportunity to at least
>mirror that faq, since he is sort of the godfather of this gathering.

Anyone is welcome to link to our site, or mirror us provided they make
arrangements to update their content weekly. Our site gets about 10
manhours of work on it a day, and updates are constant right now. It's
changing every day :) For example, at noon today I announced the FAQ
system, it was up and complete. By 1500hrs we had a completely NEW system
written from scratch because the old one had a design flaw.

>The peer review you mention, is it an internal Geek Group institution,
>or are there external reviewers attached?

Several, actually. First it arrives in my inbox, I give it a once over then
it goes public to our membership in the forums. After ~170 people give
their thoughts, it gets a final edit for grammer and accuracy by a handfull
of our higher members (guys like Mark Broker, Matt D., Paul Kidwell, Ted
Rosenberg, Mark Metlicka, Sundog, Terry, etc) anyone who wants to review
them is welcome to. After final review I have the job of sorting them and
putting them into the correct FAQ and section.

It's all very public and there are many checks before it goes into the FAQ.
The main focus is safe and accurate information. There are a LOT of great
coiling and HV sites out there. There's also a whole lot of garbage and
misinformation. The purpose of the Group is education. By combining a LARGE
amount of info into one big site, we create a reference for the whole
community. It's like a library where we all write the books :)

On top of that, the FAQs are public, not just members only. Everything is
Open Source and anyone who spots something missing or inaccurate can simply
email me or the webdev team and it can be fixed straight away.

Also, if you're a Geek-Coiler with your own website and you've got
information you'd like included in the FAQ please let me know! Some of the
better sites out there (Like Bert's and Terry's) are a wealth of info and
we'd really like to include copies of it, giving full credit (and if you
like, links) to the original source. We're not out to plagerise or steal
credit from the people that have worked hard to write this info, we're out
to bring it together into an orginised resource and help share it, giving
full credit to all. Thanks for the great questions Finn :)

>Cheers, Finn Hammer

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group