Re: "Beats" observed without pinger!

Hi Jolyon,

On 3 Dec 2002, at 17:12, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

 > Tonight I connected oscilloscope probe to influence ring of my capacitive
 > transformer TC and observed a waveform with beats DESPITE the fact that no
 > excitation was supplied to the TC by ping tester or otherwise.
 >
 > While I make no claims on the usefulness nor validity of this observation
 > -since the earth clip of the probe was not properly attached- I would be
 > interested if anyone else has had similar experience of a TC exhibiting
 > resonance due to environmental influences (electromagnetic radiation) and
 > whether there is any use in this for testing purposes.

High Q resonators are remarkably sensitive to minute disturbances.
Whether this property is useful for testing depends on the tests you
wish to perform. For me, stray radiation exciting the coils gets in
the way of what I regard as useful measurements. So much so that in
some places, taking meaningful measurements is impossible.

Regards,
malcolm