Re: Where to drill ?

Original poster: "Rob Judd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <canska-at-a5-dot-com>

I had this question myself, and nobody could answer it. So I did the math
and then wrote a program to calculate the length of the arc. Feel free to
use my program if you like,
http://homepage.a5-dot-com/~canska/tesla/sparkgap.cgi I built two RQ style gap
units using its output and they were dead on. Since then I've given up on
actually measuring and just drilling oversized holes at the approximate
location. Unless you have high quality machining equipment / skills, its
very hard to drill to such accuracy anyways.

The program just requires the Inner and Outter Diameter of the PVC form, the
Outter Diameter of the copper tubes, and the desired gap width. It will
return several bits of info, only the bottom row is important. The rest was
just debugging info so I could manually check the accuracy of the program.

If anybody is interested in the source code, I'd be glad to post it or email
it to you, whatever :-) If anybody sees any bugs or errors, please let me
know!

Rob Judd - canska-at-a5-dot-com
http://homepage.a5-dot-com/~canska/tesla/

 > Original poster: "Christopher \"CajunCoiler\" Mayeux by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>