Re: MOT Coil operational notes

Original poster: "Nicholas Field by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nick.field-at-hvfx.co.uk>

Steve,

I would suggest that, even in a DC supply, shunted power transformers are a
good thing.  Simply from the safety point of view the shunts make the
results of any fault on the HVDC rail far less catastrophic, by leaving them
in you could well save yourself a set of toasted rectifiers in the event of
a short.  They also reduce the danger to life and limb if one were to come
into contact with the output.  Yes, 14mA can kill, but you're a lot deader
at 10A than at 500mA.  People have survived shocks from pigs, so limiting
the output current to the lowest value needed for satisfactory coil
operation seems sensible.

The shunts also serve to limit the inrush, which saves messing around with
thermistors or variacs, and reduce the potential for any large current
spikes on the low voltage wiring.  Additionally, although this may not
matter to you, they will reduce the 3rd harmonic feedback into the mains.

Safe (DC) Coiling,
Nick
Nick Field, HVFX
www.hvfx.co.uk