Re: MOT Coil operational notes

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Hi Greg et al

1) Yep I did miss the TENs and shorten it to 10uS my apologies. Having said
that the dwell time of tens of uS is still very short for a conventionally
coupled coil with K in the region of 0.1 I'd class 100uS diffferently than
10's of uS but I'm not trying to split hairs on this. Others comments and
your own (thank you) re this point do perhaps resolve some of my questioning
about a  dwell time significantly shorter than the first notch period

2) The ARSG with 900bps would estimate dwell at 190uS which I think is about
is a good match for a first notch quench. This might explain reports of good
results around this bps assuming charging of the Cp is working well. The
SRSG dwell is about 280uS BTW

3) Your experience with improved results in the efficiency area with a
series static ONLY with the ASRG is particularly interesting. My coil is
designed so that the Static gap can quite easily be configured in this
manner. The idea will be experimented with later. Why this only applies to
the ARSG is a mystery to me however. Useful to note same experience with
series static with SRSG

4) An interesting note on shorting of the xfrmr. My PSU only registers BIG
current draw with a real load as I've got lots of PFC. A secondary  short
offers a largely inductive load and the PSU does not draw big current. Next
time its operating I'll reproduce this test and quantify the results. I make
this observation in relation to the efficiency improvment you reported with
the series static resulting possibly from less shorting of the xfrmr. I'd
speculate the the less intense ARSG arcing you noted may be the result of
increased losses in the static gap. As I say hope to report on this in the
future.

5) My own gut feeling is that getting the firing times optimised (bearing in
mind source impeance and load) in the SRSG will be my most rewarding path.
I've received serious encouragemnt and help here from Finn and am trying to
come to terms with microsim.

I hope to contribute again to this discussion following some further
playing, I mean testing

Best to all
Ted L in NZ