Re: Safe Sparks

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

 > Interesting.. at 196 MHz, of course, skin effect will put most of the power
 > at the surface (unlike at 100 kHz'ish TCs, where the high resistance of the
 > body makes for a fairly large (RF)skin thickness).  I wonder how the poor
 > guy got 2A at 196 MHz? That's   TV channel 10 (192-198 MHz) in the US (I
 > don't have the channel frequencies for Australia handy..but it's in the
 > same ITU band), and I'll bet you could get 2 Amps (if not a lot more) if
 > you happened to grab the  transmitting antenna or an exposed feed terminal.
 > 50 kW at 50 ohms is around 32 Amps...
 >
 > I'd change the first line of the abstract to be:
 > RF electrocutions are not commonly reported.
 >
 > I'll bet that there are a lot more RF burns that actually occur than are
 > reported.   Only the most egregious or ones with lasting effects would show
 > up in a doctor's office.
 >
 > At 06:06 PM 12/2/2002 -0700, you wrote:
 > >Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > ><DanReind-at-aol-dot-com>
 > >
 > >Hello all,
 > >
 > >I was doing some digging on pubmed as part of my work, looking for some
 > >information on radiofrequency burns.  Found an abstract for a very high
 > >frequency burn that I thought might be off interest.
 > >
 > >Cheers,

  just as a note, a worker was terminating a wire while the pulpit was
ramping up a motor. he felt nothing until the gate card hit a set point
in scr frequency. this left burns on his fingers. that looked like deep
powder burns! and jim was right, he never went to the doctors, bag balm
and black tape for three weeks.