Re: Where can I buy or find MOTS?

Original poster: "Steveh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve.g.hall-at-attbi-dot-com>

 > Here is a listing on E-Bay:
 >
 > http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1922310565
 >
 >   as : 1500 Volts AMERICAN MONARCH 501989E, HIGH POTENTIAL TRANSFORMERS.
 > This is for two transformers and caps.  I believe that these are MOT's.  I
 > took a chance and ordered six of them for $5.00 each to play with.

I also bought a couple of these transformers about 6 weeks ago. The person
selling them believes they are high voltage transformers. I do not. The text
stamped on top indicates that the transformers have been hi-pot tested at
1500V for 1 minute, not that they put out 1500V. The transformer appears to
be a ferro-resonant type, not a high voltage unit. I measured a little over
19V out with a 120V input, just a bit shy of the touted "1500V" rating. I
wrote the seller so he could correct the listings, but he still believes
they are 1500V, even though he has never actually hooked one up himself. In
his reply he said that if the transformer were hooked up to a magnetron the
high frequency would result in a higher voltage output. I decided it was
pointless to argue with an intellect as vast as his and gave up. Let me know
what conclusion you come to after receiving your transformers.

Steve