Re: Variac Faults

Hi Matthew,

I think three things kill variacs.  Bad physical damage, water damage so
bad it corrodes everything, and burning up.  Age is not a problem and the
first two are rare.  Burnt windings are very obvious but even bad ones can
sometimes be fixed with care.  Sometimes new brushes are hard to find.  95%
of the time they work find as is with a little cleaning up.  It is pretty
hard to wear out brushes.  Newark list new ones for about $900!!  If the
seller says it looks like it is in good condition, it most likely is.

Cheers,

         Terry