Re: Dead MMC. was: AAAA! My coil...

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Chris, et al,

No, and yes.  When I developed the MMC Chart, I knew that tolerances were
tight.  Many
of the MMCs built using Terry's acclaimed Panasonic caps had even tighter
tolerances.
The CDE "Geek Caps" tested about the same as the Panasonics, so I used
similar ratings
for the chart.  In some cases the GeekMMC has a slightly higher voltage
rating than the
"TerryMMC".  In other cases, the opposite is true.

The chart was only meant for a newbie coiler, since most of us know where
to find and how
to use the MMC calculator programs and spread sheets.  With that in mind, I
also used the
MMC cost as a factor.  Yes, a 9 x 3 MMC would be a safer design than a 6 x
2, but would
cost 2.25 times more.  So the less expensive design went on the chart.

This is one of only three failures that I'm aware of, and agree with Bart
that this is likely a
lemon from the factory.

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group

11/27/2002 9:40:56 PM, "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

 >Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_
14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>