Re: OLTC update - A problem!

Hi Terry,

On 28 Aug 2002, at 20:19, Tesla list wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I retuned the coupling and all
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-28-08.gif
>
> on the OLTC and the performance was better but still not as I had hoped.  I
> think I know why now.
>
> Using the output impedance calculation method at:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/impedance/impedance.html
>
> I came up with an output impedance for my coil of 2,044,989 ohms!!  That is
> really high!  My big coil is only 26500 ohms.  So I think the coil's output
> impedance is too high to fry nitrogen the way we would like it too.

I think that consideration should only apply if there is no topload.
Even then, the coil creates something of a topload all by itself. I
am betting from what I've seen of the secondary oscillograms that the
secondary Q is rather low. I'm also betting that based on the amount
of wire crammed into such a small volume. Have you yet
measured/calculated Qs? Perhaps I should stop being lazy and do it
myself.

> Output impedance is governed by the Lsec and Csec ratio.  So I think I need
> a smaller secondary L and a top terminal the size of a cow or something...
> I'll have to work on this...  I was worried about this, but I didn't think
> I would make it this far so soon :o))  I suspect this problem plagues most
> low frequency coils.  I was modeling the coil to run into a 220KOhm + 2pF
> streamer load which has a magnitude of 2,191,278 ohms so it "should" have
> worked from that point of view.  Source and load "should" have been closely
> matched.  But it looks like there are a few unknowns still out there ;-)
> With 286 watts in I should be able to get streamers of 28 inches according
> to John's formula.  Much more considering I am not burning power in a spark
> gap.  But either the low frequency (I note that I am at the frequency of
> Greg Leyh's Electrum which seems to come in a little low for streamer
> length given the input power) or the impedance thing is causing a problem.
> Probably time to get out them fiber-optic probes ;-))

I think you are running into conflicts between losses and available
energy. For example, running a low L coil with a humungous topload is
going to require a bundle of energy to get to a decent voltage.
Generally, there are scaling factors at work such as size being
proportional to required energy and being inversely proportional to
losses. Sorry for the handwaving. Again I'mm too lazy to go through
the details.

> In other news...  I designed in IGBT current tester.  Here is the simple
> diagram:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-28-06.gif
>
> Here is the messy one:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-28-07.gif
>
> It is basically a copy of a single section of the coil.  I played the
> values to get an almost perfect matching current waveform to the real one
> but I can push 600 peak amps here on a single IGBT (1200 amps with a slight
> modification!).  I will probably use the coil's drive modules to run it but
> making another drive circuit is pretty easy too.  With this tester I can
> run the IGBTs until they break and determine how hard I can push them.
> apparently nobody knows how hard IGBTs can be pushed in such case.  Be
> interesting to see :-))
>
> The impedance problem is the first real "obnoxious" problem with the OLTC.
> But it is not a mater if an OLTC works now but rather how to perfect it ;-))

I didn't doubt it would work to some degree. I ran such a coil at
considerably lower voltages using a MOSFET gap years ago. But that
was never going to be a match for a system running high primary
voltages.

Regards,
Malcolm