RE: Tuning a tesla coil without high voltage power

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Or you could just get one of those old HP tube oscillators.  They can easily
provide up to 50VAC signal output up to 500 kHz+.  Ebay usually has them for
about $50.00 or so.

Dan

Hi Jolyon,

Sure!  Maybe just use a driver chip like the TLP250 for 1/2 amp of drive:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/TLP250.pdf

DigiKey has them for a few dollars.  Or the LM12CLK:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/Low-ZAmp/LM12CL.pdf

The circuit is the 50% duty cycle oscillator taken right out of the LMC555
data sheet.  You can modify it in any way you wish:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/LMC555.pdf

BTW - My TCT burned up last night =:O  I quickly modified it for my OLTC
project on Sunday, and a loose part caused the battery to go directly
across the LED.  It made lots of smoke and even a puff of fire!  I think it
just needs a new LED.

Cheers,

	Terry