From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 12:39 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Tuning a tesla coil without high voltage power

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Dan -

Low voltage tuning is a simple test and is shown in my Tesla Coil
Construction Guide. Just feed a function generator signal into the TC
primary circuit and tune for maximum output on a scope or high frequency
voltmeter. You can even use the incandescent lamp test which is also
shown
in the Guide (secondary current test) but you will need a robust
function
generator. There are more TC tests shown in the Tesla Coil Design
Manual.

If coilers did more testing of their new coils there would be less
postings
on the List of coils that did not work. If the TC is properly designed
and
tuned and the other parts are working correctly the TC will produce
sparks
at first fire up. You can obtain a properly designed and tuned coil by
using
the JHCTES Ver 3.3 computer program.

John Couture