Re: Still confused on LTR sized Caps

Dan,

Using LTR, the voltage is kept lower than it would be with
a resonant sized capacitor.  This protects the NST from failure.
Also, the LTR cap prevents resonant build up which can destroy
the NST if the gap fails to fire for some reason.  Of course a
safety gap would take care of this too.  But still, LTR results
in a lower voltage on the NST and that's the main benefit.
The coil may also run smoother with LTR.  Some folks say
they get longer sparks using LTR, but I have not seen this
effect in my own work.

If you use an LTR cap, you'll need to use fewer primary turns
for tuning, compared to when using a resonant cap, for a given
TC.

Because LTR uses a lower voltage, the gap electrodes need
to be set closer than with a resonant arrangement.

John