Re: async rotary control

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Mark,
While not exactly an answer, I would like to tell all coilers about
those treadmills that are sometimes tossed out for the garbage men. Most
of them have a 0-9000rpm 3/4 hp dc motor (with very nice hub) in them
along with a very nice, simple, robust speed control drive on them!
I have two that are garbage salvaged.
 Also, i have one that uses a 1 hp ac single phase motor that uses a
Salisbury type speed control unit. this is basically the same variable
width pulley arrangement that snowmobiles use, as you turn the speed
knob the cable opens one pulley allowing the belt to run deeper in the
groove (or at a lower ratio) this in turn forces the opposite pulley to
ride the belt higher (or at a higher ratio).
Both these styles are very handy gadgets for the shop so next time you
see an old treadmill along the road side, or at a yard sale, CHECK INTO
IT! No one will be disappointed.
Take care,
Marc M.