RE: Simple Static Gap Distance

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Dan:

The breakdown voltage is extremely dependant on the exact geometry of your
electrodes.  If you don't have identical ball electrodes, a table won't
help.  The only way to set the gap is to do so experimentally - adjust it
in the circuit with only the gap connected to the NST, to the point where
it just begins to arc.

The coil you refer to was mine and this is what I did (although I only
claim to have 9", maybe 10" streamers).  For that transformer and for a
single cylinder gap using 1 1/8" copper pipes, the separation was 0.05".
See http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/minicoil.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA