Re: OLTC update

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Terry (& all)-

I've been following the OLTC saga off & on.  But it's just occurred to me
that you may find yourself up against the situation I've found with my
s.s. coil:  As you may recall, I apply a ~1200 V pp square-wave burst, of
up to ~6 ms duration, to a 3-turn (untuned) primary circuit for each
spark.  With a 140 KHz secondary Fr and a 6" x 24" smooth (Landergren)
toroid, it takes ~30 cycles of constant (not exponentially declining!)
excitation to bring the toroid potential up to the spark break-out level.

You are applying, I believe, ~680 x 2.8  = ~1900 V pp, initially, to a
3-turn primary circuit--incorporating much less resistance, admittedly,
than mine--but your excitation must (necessarily) exponentially-decline
quite rapidly.  I'd think you might require more or less those 30 cycles
to pump up the voltage & I fear that the decline of your primary voltage
may preclude that.

Were you able to do any simulations on that?

Ken Herrick

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:02:13 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:

> Hi All,
>
> Today I set up the coil for action:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-24-02.jpg