Re: Solid State Tesla Coil - Mysterious Electrical Shocks

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:19:06 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "S Gaeta by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

[snipped]

I said "lets see what this beastie can do!" and I cranked the
> variac
> up to give 2500 volts on the plate. The plate current was only
> 500mA, and
> the grid current only 50, but after a few seconds everything went
> dead, and
> the fuse blew. I was left with a cathode to grid short.

[snipped]

Shorted tubes, exploded MOSFETs, failed IGBTs...I suspect that that vast
majority of 19th cy. spark-gap coilers out there are afforded no end of
smug satisfaction from all of our troubles.  But let them just wait!
We'll show them, yet!!

Ken Herrick