Re: NiCd Battery Storage

> OOh, what are some of these "expensive" cells? I know lead-acid batteries
> used in the telecom industry last decades. The ones I saw being installed
> recently looked more like a school science demonstration kit as they had
> giant clear plastic tanks so you could see everything and were filled with
> electrolyte on site.

	Those are the good ones.
	vehicular ones are optimized for price, cold start,
	price, SMALL volume and price.

	Stationary cells are larger, with a bit different chemistry to
	last longer (since they are bought more on engineering
	analysis than pr/advertising.

	(Larger is good, for 'wet' cells (acid or NiCad) as the
	'stuff' shed from the plates builds up in the bottom.
	Such build up 'shorts the cells', leaving space for it to
	build up (and inspect that build up) makes for longer
	life...  Likewise, 'bigger' (thicker) plates allow more
	material loss before the cell fails.  That takes size and
	money, both of which are in short supply in 'consumer'
	batteries...

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...