Re: OLTC update

Original poster: "Darren Freeman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

At 03:47 AM 22/08/2002, you wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Hi Terry, All,
>        The recent developments in new types of coil systems brings up
> what may
>be (at least to me) an interesting philosophical question. At what point in
>evolution is a Tesla Coil no longer a Tesla coil? Just as we do not see the

Dunno =)

>names Fleming or de Forest credited with cermolox transmitting tubes, or the
>name Shockley associated with modern solid state chips, I see little in the
>OLTC except for the idea of an air-core resonant transformer that can be
>attributed to Tesla. The OLTC uses materials, devices and concepts totally
>unheard of, or even guessed at, in Tesla's day.  IMO the OLTC it has more

So does the VTTC or the SSTC..

When I rock up at Robin's place and drive his pole pig coil from a solid
state RF supply, does it stop being a Tesla coil for the duration of the
experiment?

What if I completely mangled the primary circuit? What if I used a chain of
converters ending in a Tesla secondary coil?

I say the Tesla coil is the secondary, which we normally power with a
spark-gap RF source. But is the source necessarily important?

If a secondary sits on a table, it's a Tesla coil. If a primary sits on a
table, it's a big air-cored inductor.

If they both sit in a complete setup, they're fun to watch =) Doesn't
matter where the RF comes from.

Maybe the OLTC is a Fritz Generator powering a Tesla coil?

>differences from a Tesla coil than an "Oudin" coil has.
>   Perhaps we are witnessing the birth of the OLFC (Off-Line Fritz Coil) or at
>very least the "Off-Line Fritz-Tesla System"?
>
>For two cents plain,
>
>Matt D.

Have fun,
Darren Freeman