Re: Solid State Tesla Coil - Mysterious Electrical Shocks

Original poster: "S Gaeta by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Hi Ken,

That coil was easy to tune. It's a Hartley power oscillator. Once you get
the thing tuned correctly to oscillate at the secondary's resonant frequency
there is no problem. Even when I drew an arc, the plate current actually
dropped. I killed the tube when I did the same thing that Dan did to his
SSTC2. I said "lets see what this beastie can do!" and I cranked the variac
up to give 2500 volts on the plate. The plate current was only 500mA, and
the grid current only 50, but after a few seconds everything went dead, and
the fuse blew. I was left with a cathode to grid short. I tried blowing out
the short with a high powered battery but it only shorts out again after a
minute or so. I think the grid broke free from it's support structure.

So.. I put that one aside and built an 811A coil with a DC supply. This coil
was a pain in the neck to tune. I have to knock the oscillator onto the
correct frequency by drawing an arc off the secondary before I can bring the
variac up to full voltage. This is a mystery to me,  and the problem does
not exist when I run the thing on AC and let the tubes self rectify, but I
needed to modulate this coil for a special demo.

DEBUTING SOON!: The Babbling Arc Project presents Corona Speaks! Listen to
7.415 MHz on Saturday Aug 24 at 6:00 PM Eastern time!

Regards,
Sue