Re: Solid State Tesla Coil - Mysterious Electrical Shocks

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Dan (& all)-

That's happened to me on occasion--when my coil was not fully connected
to a good ground.  It may seem to be grounded, perhaps via the line-cord
to conduit ground--but it is not, completely.  Hence the voltage.

On one occasion (before a bunch of guests at a party), I'd set up the
coil on a wood deck and provided only a rudimentary ground to a very
wimpy ground-rod.  The whole primary assembly and also my hand-controller
were quite "hot".  Once in a while, even, sparks would jump from the
toroid to the MOSFET heat-sinks--to my horror, needless to say, but
thankfully causing no damage.

Ken Herrick