RE: Initial Test of SRSG - Does this look right???? Safety Gap??

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

>I just finished my SRSG and hooked it up to my NST 15kv/60ma to test it:
>
>Here is the picture of my test:
>
> http://users.snip-dot-net/~liche/rotarytest01.jpg
>
>Since I've never seen one in action before (at least up close), I'm not
sure
>what is supposed to happen.  At first, there were barely some small little
>blue arcs, but i then moved the electrode spacing to probably .005-.010
inch
>and the above is what I got.  I seemed to draw the arc about 1 inch (or
>approximately 45 angular degrees about the rotor)
>
>Is this is what is supposed to happen or do I need to change my electrode
>spacing.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Dan

Hi Dan..

your work looks excellent ..   but I noticed a few things...

is the center hub "centered"?   looks as if it isnt due to the blur in
the photo.

The center blur is the combination of
two separate lighting sources reflecting off various surfaces of the four
hub screws.

the spark is either leading or lagging the firing point depending on the
rotation of the disc ( if the disc is clockwise its lagging by about 15
degrees   rotate the motor CCW 15 degrees) .

the brass balls... ( im guessing they are the safety gaps) ...   you
need to place a center ball to have the overvoltage goto when the system
misses a fire point. ( the center ball is attached to the secondary
ground system)

way.  In the event of overvoltage, the two spheres will arc and the NST will
current limit itself during this condition (albeit jacobs ladder style)
Every example so far i've seen (besides Terry's filter) uses on the the two
corona balls.

Dan