Re: trigger gap

Hi Steve,

It is possible the TSG may help. I think your best bet is to build Ted's
circuit. The TSG allows a
wider gap due to the voltage level of the ignition coil which is triggering
the tank circuit, thus
you will need to play around with the gap setting to find what works best.
I think it may be
difficult to truely identify if you'll increase spark length because the
watts are creeping up
there. I think it's getting into a gray area that only "try it and see what
happens" can answer (but
that's part of coiling and part of the fun). Further cooling may be needed.

I would definately change out the original Lutron triac. Also, ensure you
get the Lutron brand to
ensure consistency of design. For example, the Ace Hardware brand doesn't
include the diac which if
used, should be added to the circuit to ensure consistent triggering (you
don't want a bunch of
misfires with a wide gap spacing - can be hazardous to the cap and NST).

Also, the the triac MAC223AB on page 2 of the pdf should be MAC223A8.
Here's the triac I've used:

Industry Number  : Q4015L5
NTE Device Number: NTE56020
TRIAC-400V,25AMP,TO-220 ISOL